I am educated and broadly skilled in the fields of public sector governance, public policy analysis, development studies, organisation- and leadership development. Prior to joining UKZN, my academic and professional career of 28 years was primarily centred on academic management as a head of department of Public Administration and Law, and later dean of Commerce and Governmental Studies. My own teaching background focussed on training and educating public servants and prospective entrants to public service in South Africa, and broadly schooled professionals who could contribute to more effective governance and public policy-making at all levels of government. I have also made many international study visits to universities and institutions all over the world, and lectured in public policy analysis and development management for Africa at USA universities. During this time I played a significant role in promoting my previous institutions in the areas of education and training, and forming international partnerships with schools and institutes globally. During the past four years I worked as a consultant in business, and developed an online-learning platform to educate and train public servants in local government according to the demands of their job functions.
Dean and HOS: Management, IT and Governance
BPRA, Hons B in Public Administration, MPA, PhD in Public Administration (Stell)
Policy Analysis for Development
Public Governance in Developmental States
E-Learning and E-Governance systems in the public sector
De Coning C and Wissink HF “Nature, Role, and History of Public Policy”,
in Cloete F and De Coning C(eds) Improving Public Policy – Theory, Practice
and Results, Van Schaik Publishers, Pretoria, 2011.
De Coning C, Cloete F, and Wissink HF “Theories and Models for
Analysing Public Policy”, in Cloete F and De Coning C(eds) Improving Public
Policy – Theory, Practice and Results, Van Schaik Publishers, Pretoria, 2011.
De Coning C, Cloete F, and Wissink HF “Institutionalisation of Policy
Management”, in Cloete F and De Coning C(eds) Improving Public Policy –
Theory, Practice and Results, Van Schaik Publishers, Pretoria, 2011.
Rabie B, Cloete F, and Wissink HF “Policy Education and Training”, in
Cloete F and De Coning C(eds) Improving Public Policy – Theory, Practice and Results, Van Schaik Publishers, Pretoria, 2011
ACADEMIC RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
- Lecturer, Cape Technikon, April 1984 – December 1985.
- Lecturer, Stellenbosch University, January 1986 – March 1992.
- Head, Department of Public Management and Law, Port Elizabeth Technikon, April 1992.
- Acting Dean. Faculty of Commerce and Governmental Studies, Port Elizabeth Technikon, April 1996 – December 1996.
- Ad Hominem Professor, Department of Public Management and Law, Port Elizabeth Technikon, 1996.
- Dean, Faculty of Commerce and Governmental Studies, Port Elizabeth Technikon, January 1997 – December 2005.
- Professor of Public Management. Faculty of Arts, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, 2005.
- Director of Research and Special until completion with merger with Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, 2007.
- Director, Empowerment Technologies (learning technologies company), since 2007-2011.
- Research Associate and Consultant (linked to ISGAD), Faculty of Law, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, since 2007.
- 6 academic text books.*
- 22 book chapters in textbooks.
- 10 scientific articles in journals.
- 11 popular articles.
*Co-editor and author of very well-known and successful academic textbook, Improving Public
Policy: From Theory to Practice, third new edition recently published.
PRESENTATIONS AND INTERNATIONAL STUDY VISITS
- 18 papers delivered.
- 1 paper tabled for international congress.
- 3 keynote address.
- 5 presentations delivered or on behalf of.
- 17 international Study Visits
- Chairman, organising committee of World Bank programme on project management for SA public sector leaders (also offered at PE Technikon), Nov 1993.
- Chairman and initiator of the Institute for Sustainable Government and Development (ISGAD), under auspice of PE Technikon.
- Developer and Management Team Member, of a technology project (an online learning management system known as Cybercampus). This system has already been extensively used as an online management methodology in the MPA programme of the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University and in the USA.
- Chief Editor, of a DoE accredited journal, Administratio Publica.(2002-2007).
- Serve as consultant for the Development Bank of Southern Africa, and the Institute for Democratic Alternatives in South Africa (IDASA).
- Served as a public and development management consultant to local and national organisations with regard to training and developmental projects.
- Visiting Professor to the USA:
- Teach Development Management for Africa, Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, USA, 2002 – 2005.
- Teach Public Policy Analysis, University of North Carolina, Pembroke, USA, 2005.
- Member of Western Cape Public Administration Forum Committee for the coordination of Public Administration Research in the Western Cape, 1990.
- Member of Advisory Board, South African Programme of the American Forum for Black Public Administrators.
- Associate Member of Consultus (Public Management Consultancy), Stellenbosch, 1987 – 1991.
- Member and Council Member, South African Institute for Public Administration, 1991 – 1999.
- Serving Member of Board of Management for the International Association of Schools and Institutes of Administration, (IASIA), since 1993, (re-elected 1995 – 1997).
- Executive Management, Association of Teachers in Public Administration.
- Association of Alumni in Public Administration – Stellenbosch (VOSPA).
- Professional Member, American Association for Public Administration.
- Board of Trustees and Executive Committee of the Public Administration Journal, Administratio Publico, a SAPSE accredited journal in SA, since 1996.
- Founding Member and Executive Management Member of Public Policy Association of South Africa, under auspice of ASSADPAM.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the South African Institute for Public Administration Journal, a SAPSE accredited journal in SA, 1992 – 1999. Restructured as the Journal of Public Administration in 2000.