The purpose of the Honours in Industrial Relations programme is to broaden the students’ Human Resource Management knowledge within a business framework to develop a thorough understanding of Industrial Relations theory as well as the skills necessary to apply the theory. The programme will prepare students for entry into, or development of existing careers in Industrial Relations in the private and public sectors.
There is a dire need for senior level management competencies in industrial relations in the contemporary African and Southern African context, given the rapid pace of globalisation and concomitant regional integration. This qualification is designed to provide an ethically defensible bridge for professionals who are moving beyond their primary discipline into organisational management and leadership positions and who are required to work in the dynamic complex environment of contemporary Africa and its transition agenda. This aligns with the School’s purpose relating to management and leadership development and the University’s strategic plan to provide quality teaching and research for the African context. The students will thus have a platform to become effective industrial relations specialist or human resource manager specialising in industrial relations, and to be further equipped to become practitioner-research orientated in their on-going professional development. The programme will also serve as a bridging programme to the Masters in Industrial Relations and related management fields.
- An appropriate Bachelor’s degree
- Attained a level of competence as defined in Rule GR7(b) in the Handbook;
- Selection Programme- the School may prescribe further criteria.
- Human Resource Consultant
- Labour Relations Consultant
- Human Resource Manager
- Industrial Relations/Employment Relations Research Project HRMG7IR
- Research Methodology in Human Resource Management HRMG7RM
- Employment Law 1 HRMG7AO *
- Human Resource Management HRMG7FO
- Special Topics in Employment Relations HRMG7DO
- HR Planning and Strategy HRMG7PS
- Training and Development Strategies HRMG7RO
# Only for Westville * Only for Pietermaritzburg