Focus Areas of the Discipline
- Digital Technologies for Teaching and learning including e-Learning
- Big Data Analytics
- Systems development
- Mobile applications development
The discipline aims to provide a solid grounding in technology, the design, implementation, and management of innovative technology-based solutions. Furthermore, the program prepares students for the life-long retraining that is an integral part of the computing profession. IS & T is a vibrant and exciting field. There are constantly new advancements, most recently in the areas of Big data, mobile and Internet of commerce where businesses are competing in the “new” economy, a global environment in which Information Systems is vital in order to manage the information flows.
Details of involvement in community projects
Educational technology for teachers at schools
Details of involvement in any other projects
- Design and Implementation of integrated and distributed students’ data across SA
- Digital Technologies
Any other important / Relevant information regarding the Discipline
- The discipline of Information Systems and Technology (IS & T) offers comprehensive teaching programmes from undergraduate through to doctoral level. It emphasises a systems view of the development, use and management of information systems and investigates their impact on people, organisations and society as well as the technology based aspect of systems. The courses prepare students for direct entry into the profession as well as entry into graduate and professional programs that rely on computing.
- The school offers three main routes to degrees with majors in computing. These are Computer Science, Information Systems & Technology (IS&T) (single or double major).
- The programme allows a student to major in both Computer Science and IS & T or may elect to pursue the double major in IS &T.