Principles For Responsible Management Education
The School of Management, IT and Governance (SMIG) joined the PRME initiative of the United Nations Global Compact in 2013. Prof. Henry Wissink (Dean and HoS) pledged SMIGs commitment to be a change agent that nurtures and develops productive and morally brave leadership.
The SIX PRINCIPLES FOR RESPONSIBLE MANAGEMENT EDUCATION serves as a guiding framework for SMIG.
As a School, we declare our willingness to progress in the implementation, within our institution, UKZN, and we will report on progress to all our stakeholders and exchange effective practices related to these principles with other academic institutions:
- Purpose: We will develop the capabilities of students to be future generators of sustainable value for business and society at large and to work for an inclusive and sustainable global economy.
- Values: We will incorporate into our academic activities and curricula the values of global social responsibility as portrayed in international initiatives such as the United Nations Global Compact.
- Method: We will create educational frameworks, materials, processes and environments that enable effective learning experiences for responsible leadership.
- Research: We will engage in conceptual and empirical research that advances our understanding about the role, dynamics, and impact of corporations in the creation of sustainable social, environmental and economic value.
- Partnership: We will interact with managers of business corporations to extend our knowledge of their challenges in meeting social and environmental responsibilities and to explore jointly effective approaches to meeting these challenges.
- Dialogue: We will facilitate and support dialogue and debate among educators, students, business, government, consumers, media, civil society organisations and other interested groups and stakeholders on critical issues related to global social responsibility and sustainability.
We understand that our own organisational practices should serve as example of the values and attitudes we convey to our students
2. PRME Initiator: Professor Henry Wissink
Telephone: + 27 31 260 7576
PRME Champion: Professor Ziska Fields
Telephone: +27 31 260 8103