Building & Room: Room 27, Commerce Building, 1st Floor
Dr Brian Kwazi Majola a lecturer and an employment relations and law specialist in the School of Management, IT and Governance. He has studied in South Africa and abroad; and holds two master’s degrees and two honours degrees in both Human Resource Management and Employment Relations fields. Dr Majola obtained a Master of Science degree in Human Resource Management (International Development) from the University of Manchester, England.
Before joining UKZN in 2011, he worked different fields as an Assistant Educator, Law Enforcement Officer and a Sales Consultant for approximately 15 years in both the private and public sectors. At management level as an Assistant Director, he represented the employer in various structures from area level to provincial level and in different bargaining councils such as the CCMA, ELRC, SSSBC and GPSSBC. He dealt with the facilitation and resolution of grievances, chaired and prosecuted in misconduct matters, a member of the provincial negotiating team and a special investigator. Currently at UKZN, Dr Majola is member of the Teaching and Learning Committee and supervising students at Masters and PhD levels.
He has recently started to publish articles in DHET accredited journals and to present research papers at different conferences as an individual and with postgraduate students supervised. Dr Majola received a number of awards as the best employee locally and overseas scholarships as he is a Ford Foundation Fellow, a Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship recipient, an Erasmus+ Staff Mobility for Teaching Programme and an NRF KIC Grant holder.
- PhD in Human Resource Management (UKZN)
- MSc in HRM (International Development) (Manchester)
- MCom in Industrial Relations (UKZN)
- BTech in Labour Relations Management (UNISA)
- BTech in Human Resource Management (UNISA)
- Diploma in Human Resource Management (Technikon Natal)
- Certificate in Business Education (Technikon Natal)
- Research Interests
- Employment Law
- People with Disabilities
Undergraduate Courses Currently Teaching
- Individual Employment Relations & Law
- Collective Employment Relations & Law
Postgraduate Courses Currently Teaching
- Employment Law
- Industrial Relations A
- Industrial Relation B
- Human Resource Management 311
- Human Resource Management A
- Leadership and Change Management
- Management of Human Resources
- Majola, B.K., and Dhunpath. R. (2016). The Development of Disability-Related Employment Policies in the South African Public Service. Problems and Perspectives in Management. Vol 14(1): 19-28
- Majola, B.K. and Nzimakwe T.I. (2017). Women’s Representation and Participation in Decision-making Processes at Local Government Level in South Africa. Administratio Publica. Vol 25(4)
- Majola B.K. (2017). Factors Affecting the Number of Women Ward Councillors in South Africa. Presented at the College of Law and Management Studies Research Day, 29 September 2017 Graduate School of Business and Leadership, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa.
- Majola B.K. (2016). E-Learning and People with Disabilities: Are Institutions of Higher Learning in South Africa Ready? Presented at the College of Law and Management Studies Research Day, 29-30 September 2016, Graduate Business School and Leadership, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa.
- Majola B.K. (2013). The Role of the Media in Promoting Women’s Political Participation at Local Government Level in South Africa. Presented at the Canadian Association of African Studies (CAAS) Conference, 01-03 May 2013, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada.
Membership of Professional Organisation:
- Institute of People Management
- African-American-European Summer School (Chemnitz University) – Germany
- Visiting Research Scholar (Carleton University) – Canada
- Visiting Research Scholar (University of Dar es Salaam) – Tanzania
- Staff Mobility for Teaching Programme (Jagiellonian University) – Poland