Telephone: 033 260 6151/5899
Building & Room: Post Graduate Center, 1 Golf Rd campus
Discipline: Marketing and Supply Chain Management
Professor Debbie Ellis is an Associate Professor in Marketing in the School of Management, IT and Governance. She holds a Masters in Business Science from the University of Cape Town, South Africa and a PhD in Marketing from KTH, Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden. Prof Ellis has more than 25 years of teaching and research experience. She has taught at undergrad, postgrad and management development levels at a number of South African universities. Her main areas of teaching expertise include Strategic Marketing and Planning, Social-, Services- and Global Marketing.
Prof Ellis has been involved in programme and curriculum development as well as management and leadership of numerous programmes including Master of Business Administration (MBA), Honours in Marketing and Postgrad Diplomas in Marketing, Management and Marketing and Supply Chain Management as well as been Academic Leader of Research and Higher Degrees. She has chaired the school’s Ethics committee and is on the Marketing & Supply Chain Management discipline committee for higher degree proposals. Prof Ellis has been an external examiner for courses as well as dissertations and theses for various South African as well as international universities. Prof Ellis is on the editorial and/or review boards for several South African and international journals including the Journal of Marketing Education, Journal of Advertising Research, Retail & Marketing Review, the International Journal of Wine and Business Research, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Journal of Cleaner Production, Journal of Macro Marketing, Journal of Strategic Marketing, and the South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences.
Prof Ellis’ work has been published in Journal of Cleaner Production, Sustainability Science, the International Journal of Consumer Studies, Young Consumers, the International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, Business Horizons, the South African Journal of Business Management, the South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences, the International Journal of Wine Business Research, The Journal of Wine Research, the Journal of Financial Services Marketing, and the Africa Education Review amongst others. Her primary areas of research interest include eco-consumers, young consumers, social marketing, consumer knowledge, positioning and wine marketing.
- Bachelor of Business Science (UCT, South Africa)
- Masters of Business Science (Marketing and HR) (UCT, South Africa)
- PhD Marketing (KTH, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden)
Recent Publications and Papers
Journal Articles, Books and Book Chapters
- Beachcroft-Shaw, H., Ellis, D.  Finding common ground: mapping the nomological networks of sustainability constructs for improved social marketing. Sustainability Science, 15: 745–758 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11625-019-00755-zQ1 journal (Scimagojr.com)
- Mkhize, S. & Ellis, D.  Creativity in Marketing Communication to Overcome Barriers to Organic Produce Purchases: The case of a Developing Nation, Journal of Cleaner Production, 242(2020): 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.118415, Q1 journal (Scimagojr.com)’
- Chiweshe, N. & Ellis, D. (editors) . Strategic Marketing for Social Enterprises in Developing Nations, Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Ellis, D. & Derera, E. . Chapter 1: Strategic Marketing for Social Enterprises: Nexus of the Two Domains. In N. Chiweshe & D. Ellis (Ed.) Strategic Marketing for Social Enterprises in Developing Nations. Hershey, PA: IGI Global, p1 – 30.
- Mkhize, S. & Ellis, D. . Chapter 7: Social Enterprise Consumers: The Case of South African Organic Produce Consumers. In N. Chiweshe & D. Ellis (Ed.) Strategic Marketing for Social Enterprises in Developing Nations. Hershey, PA: IGI Global, p152 – 180.
- Maikoo,M. & Ellis, D.  South African children’s influence tactics: what works and when?”, Young Consumers, 19(4): 432-449, , Q1 journal (Scimagojr.com)
- Mkhize, N.H. & Ellis, D. . Chapter 5: Consumer Cooperation in Sustainability: the Green Gap in an Emerging Market. In S. Indris (Ed.) Promoting Global Environmental Sustainability and Cooperation, Hershey, PA: IGI Global, pp.112 – 135.
- Ellis, D. & Caruana, A.  Consumer Wine Knowledge: Components and Segments, International Journal of Wine Business Research, 30(3): 277-291.
- Beachcroft-Shaw, H., & Ellis, D. . Social Marketing to Achieve Sustainability. In Z. Fields (Ed.), Collective Creativity for Responsible and Sustainable Business Practice, pp. 296-314. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-1823-5.ch016
Recent Conference Papers Delivered
- Singh, U. & Ellis, D.  Sustainability content in CLMS modules at UKZN presented at the Management, IT and Governance in an e-World (e-MIG 2019) conference, Balaclava, Mauritius, 14 – 15 May 2019.
- Reddy, T. & Ellis D.  The Ultimate Marketing Challenge: Understanding Environmentally Conscious Consumer Behaviour and the Role of Environmental Concern, presented at the Academy of Marketing Science World Marketing Congress, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9-12 July 2019.
- Maharaj, S. & Ellis, D.  Execution factors affecting product placement effectiveness in hip hop videos, presented at the Academy of Marketing AM2019 Conference, London, England, 2-4 July 2019.
- Axcell, S. & Ellis, D.  Exploring the Attitudes and Behaviour of Generation Z Students Towards Branded Mobile Applications, presented at the Academy of Marketing AM2019 Conference, London, England, 2-4 July 2019.
- Dumakude, S & Ellis, D.  The extent of the use of green symbols in water and energy drinks packaging, accepted for presentation at the 5th Business Management Conference (BMC), Durban, South Africa, 23 – 24 August 2018. Paper: 140.
- Ndlovu, S. & Ellis, D.  The extent of ecolabels on packaging: the case of fruit juice, accepted for presentation at the 5th Business Management Conference (BMC), Durban, South Africa, 23 – 24 August 2018. Paper: 141.