Telephone: 031 260 7763
Building & Room: M Block, 229 2nd floor
Discipline: Public Governance
Prof Mogie Subban lectures at both undergrad and postgrad levels, and serves as Academic Programme Co-ordinator in the Discipline of Public Governance in the College of Law & Management Studies. Her experience spans over 23 years both in corporate and public sectors from Unicorn Shipping in the 1980’s to freelance work for a Media Company to managing legal administration and co-set up of the first Legal Aid Clinic at the former UDW. Prior to joining UKZN, Prof Subban served as HoD: Public Administration at DUT (former Technikon Natal) for several years.
She regularly presents at several national and international conferences, published book chapters and numerous articles in public governance and related fields, and serves as a reviewer for many national and international journals. Prof Subban is invited to serve on the editorial board of an international journal. She also trained emerging, middle and senior managers at local, provincial and national departments in various public sector management areas through the National School of Government. Prof Subban actively participates in provincial initiatives and by invitation, has programme directed for the former KwaZulu-Natal Premier and for several ministers at national and provincial indabas.
Through her financial expertise, she was invited by the former MEC: Provincial Treasury to critique the budget for two consecutive years. Prof Subban served as a member of the working committee, Standards Generating Body for Public Management and Development in its formative years writing up unit standards for all Public Administration qualifications. She serves as a member of SAICA’s Public Sector Committee, and currently is the Chair of ASSADPAM. She is an avid researcher, passionate about teaching and learning pedagogies, including curriculum development. She has successfully graduated several hons, masters and doctoral students in various areas of research. Some of her doctoral students have won best paper awards at conferences, including scooping the College Doctoral Scholarship for excellent academic work. Prof Subban keenly mentors colleagues in the academic fraternity and regularly participates in workshops sharing her research and supervision ideas at various University forums by invitation. She actively participates in various community outreach initiatives.
- B. Admin
- B. Admin (Hons)
- M. Admin (Cum Laude)
- D. Admin
- Public sector governance
- Public finance
- Local government management
- Disaster risk management
- Strategic management
- Public policy management
- Project governance
- Public procurement
- Teaching pedagogies
- Cyber security and the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- Public service delivery
Recent Publications and Papers
- Subban, M. 2017. Disaster Risk Reduction perspectives in health service delivery in South Africa. International Journal of Social Sciences and Humanity Studies. 9(2): 65-79. ISSN: 1309-8063 (Online). (With doctoral student).
- Subban, M. 2018. Improving mobile service delivery within ILembe Health District: A Batho Pele Perspective. International Journal of eBusiness and eGovernment Studies. 10(1): 157-172. ISSN: 2146-0744 (Online). (With doctoral student).
- Subban, M. 2019. Cluster Initiative Management: A potential for African women entrepreneurs in the informal sector. Local Economy Journal. (reviewed – for publication with former post-doc).
- Subban, M. 2019. Reflection on the nexus between e-Government and Poverty Reduction Perspectives. Journal of Reviews on Global Economics. (reviewed for publication with former post-doc).
- Subban, M, 2019. Innovating management through strategy execution in the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Agriculture and Environmental Affairs. Journal of Contemporary Management. (Confirmed for publication with doctoral student).